Summary from Springbike’s Advocacy Coordinator David H.
- South Creek Trail is being extended to the recently completed bridge on Barrington Avenue (south of Battlefield Road east of West Bypass) this month and the rolling pavement north of Battlefield Road is being replaced.
- A bike share system is expected to launch in downtown Springfield the last week of October.
- Fremont Avenue between Sunset Street to Battlefield Road is being widened to five lanes including a 10-foot side path and sidewalk to be completed in 2020.
- A new 1.5-mile segment of Fulbright Spring Trail is open between Lost Hill Park and David C Murray Park. This results in a 7.0-mile trail segment from Truman School to Ritter Springs Park.
- Bike lanes have been installed on Primrose Street between Cox Health South Campus and Jefferson Avenue after the street was widened last year.
Other Current Construction
- Jordan Creek West Meadows Trail is being constructed as a one-half mile out and back trail east from Fort Avenue north of College Street this fall.
- US Highway 160 is being widened to four lanes parallel to the Frisco Highline Trail. Farm Road 94 will be closed west of US Highway 160 in September and temporary signal at current intersection during roundabout construction.
- Jackson Street (Route 14) in Ozark is being widened to five lanes between 16th Street and the Finley River bridge including trail crossings under Jackson Street near 12th Street and near 16th Street to be completed by fall 2021. Trails will connect the Ozark Community Center with the Junior High School, the High School, and Ozark Innovation Center.
- Fellows Lake Dirt 66 Phase One including 6.65 miles of natural surface single-track trail is under construction.
- Parking lots and pedestrian alleyways south of Commercial Street are under construction.
Funded Construction (completion within next year)
- Fasnight Creek Trail will be constructed from Jefferson Avenue to Kimbrough Avenue and from Holland Avenue to Clay Avenue
- Galloway Creek Trail will be reconstructed from south of Sequiota Park to Republic Road
- A trail will be built from Galloway Creek Trail to the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street where a traffic signal will be installed, connecting Brentwood neighborhood to the trail.
- Traffic Calming projects will be constructed at South Avenue and Pershing Street, Cherry Street and Pickwick Avenue, Jefferson Avenue and Elm Street, and Benton Avenue and Calhoun Street
- A sidewalk is to be constructed along West Division Street from Kansas Expressway to West Avenue
- Additional walkway/trail is to be added to East Commons (at East Trafficway and National Avenue)
- The Jefferson Avenue Footbridge over the BNSF Railroad is to be rehabilitated and accessible features added
- The Grant Avenue Parkway Project visioning process is underway. Get information at https://grantavenueparkway.com/. Grant Avenue from Walnut Street to Sunshine Street will be reconstructed to include a side path on one side, improved 5-foot sidewalk on other side, underground utilities, landscaping, improved lighting, and other features funded by a BUILD Grant.
- Division Street from Fremont Avenue to Glenstone Avenue is to be widened to three lanes with 10-foot sidepath on south side connecting to Jordan Creek Trail and sidewalk on north side
- Republic Road between James River Freeway and Fairview Avenue including Campbell Avenue intersection is to be widened to two through lanes east and west, double left turn lanes, right-turn slip lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks and pedestrian signals. Bike lanes are to be extended from James River Freeway to Kansas Avenue.
- Galloway Road from Luster Avenue to Lone Pine Avenue is to be widened and levelled including two through lanes and a two-way left turn lane on a curb and gutter street and a sidewalk on one side and a bicycle sidepath on the other side and intersection modifications at each end
- Central Street between Clay Avenue and Jefferson Avenue is to be reconstructed as a complete street with a sidewalk on one side and a sidepath on the other and a roundabout at Benton Avenue
- The bridge on Main Avenue over Jordan Creek will be rebuilt including sidewalk and sidepath on roadway surface
- Walnut Street bridge over Jordan Creek is to be replaced including provision for trail along Jordan Creek
- Fassnight Creek Trail will be extended from Kimbrough Avenue to the Springfield Art Museum.
- Cherokee Trail of Tears Trail will be constructed as a walk-bike trail through Battlefield City Park with connections to public streets west and north of the park.
- City of Republic and Greene County will acquire right-of-way for a walk/bike trail along Elm Street and Farm Road 182 between Matteson Avenue and State Highway ZZ.
- Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan update Forward SGF is underway. Map your priorities at https://www.forwardsgf.com/ and learn about the update of Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan.