- A clean-up and soft opening are scheduled at Fellows Lake Dirt 66 Trail (north shore near dam) for Sunday, March 7 from noon to 4:00.
Recently Completed Construction
- Fellows Lake Dirt 66 Phase One including 6.65 miles of natural surface single-track trail is complete.
- Two alleys south of Commercial Street have been rebuilt with concrete pavement inlaid with ceramic designs and added lighting and a parking lot at Blaine and Jefferson has been rebuilt with landscaping, lighting, and pedestrian features.
- A new Riverside Bridge has been completed in Christian County with a walk/bike path along one side.
- Crosswalks have been added or enhanced and pedestrian actuated flashing lights added at Grant Avenue and Calhoun Street, Walnut Lawn Street and Broadway Avenue, and Blackman Road and Dan Kinney Family Center/Lomita Street.
- Springfield has passed a new ordinance that requires drivers to stop for people on foot withing a street crosswalk or people within three feet of the curb at a crosswalk that intend to cross the street.
- Jackson Street (Route 14) in Ozark is being widened to five lanes between 16th Street and the Finley River bridge including trail crossings under Jackson Street near 12th Street and near 16th Street to be completed by fall 2021. Trails will connect the Ozark Community Center with the Junior High School, the High School, and Ozark Innovation Center.
- Fasnight Creek Trail is under contract for construction between Jefferson Avenue and Clay Avenue this spring.
- Galloway Creek Trail is under contract for reconstruction from Sequiota Park to Republic Road this spring.
- A connecting trail is under contract for construction this spring from Galloway Creek Trail north of Covington Street to the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street including a traffic signal at the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street, connecting Brentwood neighborhood to the trail.
- A traffic calming project is under construction at the intersection of Cherry Street and Pickwick Avenue with completion scheduled for this spring.
Funded Construction (completion within next year)
- Phases 2, 3, and 4 of Dirt 66 which together will add five miles of single-track trail on the east end of the north shore of Fellows Lake are in the bidding process.
- A sidewalk to be constructed along West Division Street from Kansas Expressway to West Avenue is in the bidding process.
- Traffic Calming projects will be constructed at South Avenue and Pershing Street, Jefferson Avenue and Elm Street, and Benton Avenue and Calhoun Street.
- Additional walkway/trail is to be added to East Commons (at East Trafficway and National Avenue)
- The Jefferson Avenue Footbridge over the BNSF Railroad is to be rehabilitated and accessible features added.
- The Grant Avenue Parkway Project visioning process is underway. Get information at https://grantavenueparkway.com/. Grant Avenue from Walnut Street to Sunshine Street will be reconstructed to include a side path on one side, improved 5-foot sidewalk on other side, underground utilities, landscaping, improved lighting, and other features funded by a BUILD Grant.
- Lone Pine Bike Park west of Galloway Trail between Southern Hills Boulevard and Covington Street has been developed by local residents who constructed a one-mile loop single track trail and several down-hill and technical trails. Ozark Greenways and Springfield-Greene County Parks Department are developing a plan to make this park permanent and add other features.
- Division Street from Fremont Avenue to Glenstone Avenue is to be widened to three lanes with 10-foot sidepath on south side connecting to Jordan Creek Trail and sidewalk on north side.
- Republic Road between James River Freeway and Fairview Avenue including Campbell Avenue intersection is to be widened to two through lanes east and west, double left turn lanes, right-turn slip lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks, and pedestrian signals. Bike lanes are to be extended from James River Freeway to Kansas Avenue.
- Galloway Road from Luster Avenue to Lone Pine Avenue is to be widened and levelled including two through lanes and a two-way left turn lane on a curb and gutter street and a sidewalk on one side and a bicycle sidepath on the other side and intersection modifications at each end.
- Central Street between Clay Avenue and Jefferson Avenue is to be reconstructed as a complete street with a sidewalk on one side and a sidepath on the other and a roundabout at Benton Avenue.
- The bridge on Main Avenue over Jordan Creek will be rebuilt including sidewalk and sidepath on roadway surface.
- Walnut Street bridge over Jordan Creek is to be replaced including provision for trail along Jordan Creek.
- Fassnight Creek Trail will be extended from Kimbrough Avenue to the Springfield Art Museum.
- Cherokee Trail of Tears Trail will be constructed as a walk-bike trail through Battlefield City Park with connections to public streets west and north of the park.
- City of Republic and Greene County will acquire right-of-way and construct a walk/bike trail along Elm Street and Farm Road 182 between Matteson Avenue and State Highway ZZ.
- Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan update Forward SGF is underway. Map your priorities at https://www.forwardsgf.com/ and learn about the update of Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan.