David Hutchison’s Summary of Bicycle Facility Construction in Springfield Area –
- SpringBike Club will meet Monday, January 10. Watch the Springbike web site of Facebook page for announcement for time and internet link or venue location.
Recently Completed Construction
- The project connecting the Galloway Creek Trail with the Brentwood neighborhood including a trail from Galloway Creek Trail south of Covington Street to the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street and a traffic signal at the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street.
- The Galloway Creek Trail reconstruction project from Sequiota Park to Republic Road.
- Dirt 66 natural surface single-track trail around Fellows Lake including 10.7 miles on the north side, 3.2 miles on the southwest side, and 1.9 miles on the southeast side.
- An 810-foot segment of the Chadwick Flyer Trail on the north side of State Highway CC on the frontage of Sonrise Baptist Church west of Fremont Road.
- A traffic calming project on Cherry Street between Fremont Avenue and Weller Avenue.
- Restriping on Division Street between Lyon Ave and National Ave to one lane each direction with bike lanes.
- Sidepath on south side of Jackson Street (Route 14) in Ozark from Ozark Community Center to new underpass near 12th Street and underpasses for future trails were constructed near 12th Street and near 16th Street (at OCC) in conjunction with widening of Jackson Street to five lanes between 16th Street and the Finley River providing access for trails to connect the Ozark Community Center with the Junior High School, the High School, and Ozark Innovation Center.
- The old Riverside bridge is near its original location crossing the Finley River near Ozark Mill accessed by an at-grade trail in the Finley Farms / Ozark Mill development on the west and two dozen steps on the east.
- Fassnight Creek Trail between Jefferson Avenue and Clay Avenue is under construction through Spring 2022.
- Fassnight Creek Storm Water Project between National Avenue and Virginia Avenue is under construction. Creek channel is complete, curb along Brookside Drive and bridges over creek are currently under construction, and Brookside Drive is closed to through traffic between Green Avenue and Kings Avenue through Spring 2022.
- Central Street between Clay Avenue and Benton Avenue is being reconstructed as a complete street with a sidewalk on one side and a sidepath on the other.
- On Scenic Avenue at Chesterfield Blvd a crosswalk with a pedestrian-activated rapid rectangular flashing beacon will be installed.
- Fellows Lake Dirt 66 ultimately will include 35 miles of single-track trail around Fellows Lake. Current construction which will add 2.0 miles west of Farm Road 197 on the south shore of the north arm and 5.3 miles of trail along the south shore of the south arm with 7.4 miles under design along the shore of the peninsula between the two arms.
- A sidewalk along West Division Street from Kansas Expressway to West Avenue is nearly complete.
Funded Construction (completion within next year)
- Fassnight Trail between Clay Avenue and the Art Museum will be constructed after completion of the Fassnight Creek reconstruction project.
- The Lone Pine Bike Park west of Galloway Trail between Southern Hills Boulevard and Covington Street new downhill trails and a pump track is on hold for further review.
- Chadwick Flyer Trail (4200 ft) at MO Hwy CC and Fremont Road is scheduled for construction in spring 2022.
- Chadwick Flyer Trail (500 feet) from Jackson Street bridge to new bridge at Finley Farms is funded.
- Traffic Calming projects will be constructed at South Avenue and Pershing Street, Jefferson Avenue and Elm Street, and Benton Avenue and Calhoun Street
- Additional walkway/trail is to be added to East Commons (at East Trafficway and National Avenue)
- The Grant Avenue Parkway Project is in the design process. A design-build team has been selected. Design and right-of-way acquisition will occur through summer of 2022 and construction is expected through summer 2024. Grant Avenue from Walnut Street to Sunshine Street will be reconstructed to include a side path on one side, improved 5-foot sidewalk on other side, underground utilities, landscaping, improved lighting, and other features funded by a BUILD Grant. Get information at https://grantavenueparkway.com/.
- Division Street from Fremont Avenue to Glenstone Avenue is to be widened to three lanes with 10-foot sidepath on south side connecting to Jordan Creek Trail and sidewalk on north side
- Republic Road between James River Freeway and Fairview Avenue including Campbell Avenue intersection is to be widened to two through lanes east and west, double left turn lanes, right-turn slip lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks and pedestrian signals. Bike lanes are to be extended from James River Freeway to Kansas Avenue.
- Galloway Road from Luster Avenue to Lone Pine Avenue is to be widened and levelled including two through lanes and a two-way left turn lane on a curb and gutter street and a sidewalk on one side and a bicycle sidepath on the other side and intersection modifications at each end.
- The bridge on Main Avenue over Jordan Creek will be rebuilt including sidewalk and sidepath on roadway surface.
- Walnut Street bridge over Jordan Creek is to be replaced including provision for trail along Jordan Creek.
- Fassnight Creek Trail will be extended from Clay Avenue to the Springfield Art Museum in winter/spring 2022.
- Cherokee Trail of Tears Trail will be constructed as a walk-bike trail through Battlefield City Park with connections to public streets west and north of the park (bid in 2021).
- City of Republic and Greene County will acquire right-of-way and construct a walk/bike trail along Elm Street and Farm Road 182 between Matteson Avenue and State Highway ZZ.
- The Chadwick Flyer Trail from Jackson Street to Clay Street in Ozark with construction expected in summer 2022.
- The Chadwick Flyer Trail from Greene/Christian County line to James River Trail/Trail of Honor with construction expected in 2022.
- The Jefferson Avenue Footbridge over the BNSF Railroad is to be rehabilitated and accessible features added
- Springfield’s comprehensive plan update Forward SGF is underway. Map your priorities at https://www.forwardsgf.com/ and learn about the update of Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan.