Road Work Involving Bicycle Routes
- There will be no shoulders on the MO Hwy D (Sunshine Street) bridge over the James River west of MO Hwy J due to bridge Maintenance from June 7 to October 29.
- Missouri Active Transportation Conference (Virtual) August 13. Register for the 2021 Summit now!
- Check ride calendar for scheduled rides, but remember to check the sponsor’s Facebook or website for updates once you know about the ride! Ride Calendars – Springbike Bicycle Club,
Recently Completed Construction
- Dirt 66 Phases One, Two, and Three including nine miles of natural surface single-track trail on the north side of Fellows Lake is complete.
- An 810-foot segment of the Chadwick flyer Trail has been constructed on the north side of State Highway CC on the frontage of Sonrise Baptist Church west of Fremont Road.
- Fassnight Creek Storm Water Project is between National Avenue and Virginia Avenue is under construction. Brookside Drive is closed to through traffic between Green Avenue and Kings Avenue.
- Fassnight Creek Trail is under construction between Jefferson Avenue and Clay Avenue through the summer.
- Galloway Creek Trail is being reconstructed from Sequiota Park to Republic Road through July.
- A connecting trail is under construction through Fall from Galloway Creek Trail north of Covington Street to the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street including a traffic signal at the intersection of Lone Pine Avenue and Greenwood Street, connecting Brentwood neighborhood to the trail.
- At the Lone Pine Bike Park west of Galloway Trail between Southern Hills Boulevard and Covington Street new downhill trails and a pump track are being constructed this summer. Trails developed by local residents will be reconstructed in the fall and winter.
- A traffic calming project is under construction at the intersection of Cherry Street and Pickwick Avenue with completion scheduled for this summer.
- Jackson Street (Route 14) in Ozark is being widened to five lanes between 16th Street and the Finley River bridge including trail crossings under Jackson Street near 12th Street and near 16th Street to be completed by fall 2021. Trails will connect the Ozark Community Center with the Junior High School, the High School, and Ozark Innovation Center.
- Fassnight Trail between Clay Avenue and the Art Museum will be constructed in the fall.
- Fellows Lake Dirt 66 ultimately will include 35 miles of single-track trail around Fellows Lake. Phase 4 is currently under construction which will add three miles of single-track trail on the east end of the north shore of Fellows Lake.
- The old Riverside bridge was hoisted onto new piers near its original location crossing the Finley River near Ozark Mill in March and approaches are under construction.
- A sidewalk is under contract for construction along West Division Street from Kansas Expressway to West Avenue this spring or summer. (Hunter Chase in conjunction with other utility/street projects)
Funded Construction (completion within next year)
- Central Street between Clay Avenue and Jefferson Avenue is to be reconstructed as a complete street with a sidewalk on one side and a sidepath on the other and a roundabout at Benton Avenue.
- Chadwick Flyer Trail (4200 ft) at MO Hwy CC and Fremont Road is scheduled for construction this summer and fall.
- Traffic Calming projects will be constructed at South Avenue and Pershing Street, Jefferson Avenue and Elm Street, and Benton Avenue and Calhoun Street
- Additional walkway/trail is to be added to East Commons (at East Trafficway and National Avenue)
- The Jefferson Avenue Footbridge over the BNSF Railroad is to be rehabilitated and accessible features added.
- The Grant Avenue Parkway Project visioning process is underway. Get information at https://grantavenueparkway.com/. Grant Avenue from Walnut Street to Sunshine Street will be reconstructed to include a side path on one side, improved 5-foot sidewalk on other side, underground utilities, landscaping, improved lighting, and other features funded by a BUILD Grant.
- Division Street from Fremont Avenue to Glenstone Avenue is to be widened to three lanes with 10-foot sidepath on south side connecting to Jordan Creek Trail and sidewalk on north side.
- Republic Road between James River Freeway and Fairview Avenue including Campbell Avenue intersection is to be widened to two through lanes east and west, double left turn lanes, right-turn slip lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks and pedestrian signals. Bike lanes are to be extended from James River Freeway to Kansas Avenue.
- Galloway Road from Luster Avenue to Lone Pine Avenue is to be widened and levelled including two through lanes and a two-way left turn lane on a curb and gutter street and a sidewalk on one side and a bicycle sidepath on the other side and intersection modifications at each end.
- The bridge on Main Avenue over Jordan Creek will be rebuilt including sidewalk and sidepath on roadway surface.
- Walnut Street bridge over Jordan Creek is to be replaced including provision for trail along Jordan Creek.
- Fassnight Creek Trail will be extended from Clay Avenue to the Springfield Art Museum in winter/spring 2022.
- Cherokee Trail of Tears Trail will be constructed as a walk-bike trail through Battlefield City Park with connections to public streets west and north of the park (bid in 2021).
- City of Republic and Greene County will acquire right-of-way and construct a walk/bike trail along Elm Street and Farm Road 182 between Matteson Avenue and State Highway ZZ.
- Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan update Forward SGF is underway. Map your priorities at https://www.forwardsgf.com/ and learn about the update of Springfield’s Comprehensive Plan.